BC Kids: Why We Exist?
- So that each child may encounter Jesus’ love and be discipled appropriate to their age.
- To come alongside families to assist, support, and resource them as they disciple their kids.
- To love on and build up each person that Jesus calls to the BC Kids family.
- To cultivate and steward safe, fun, and nurturing spaces and people for every child.
Meet the Team: We’re Here to Serve, Support, and Equip You
- Zack Ripley, Director, 209-918-1512, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laurie Cruz, Asst. Director, 918-852-0031, email@example.com
- Holly Krebs, Sunday Welcome Desk Asst.
JR Worker Policies and Procedures
- Be On Time: Please arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the service. You can use that time to orient yourself to the materials and classroom set up for that day before the kids arrive. Also, this will allow time for you to enjoy the continental breakfast set out in the BC Kids workspace for our volunteers.
- Name Tag: It is important that parents know you are an approved BC Kids worker. When you arrive, please go to one of the Check-in stations and print your label.
Drop-off and Pick-up:
- Adults will greet the parents and check-in the child. This is especially important for the Nursery and Toddler classrooms. Please be sure adults are the ones to take babies from parents.
- JR Workers can be a valuable help during this time by immediately greeting the child and helping him/her settle into the class. Please stay on the floor or in the rocking chairs with infants. Try not to carry children more than necessary. Offer a toy or other distraction. You are a key part of making each child feel known and loved at BC Kids!
- When checking-out a child, Adults will greet the parent and confirm they have the security tag. JR Workers can help the child gather her/his belongings. Make sure to say goodbye and make the child feel loved and cared for as they leave. Help watch as families are leaving that other children are not slipping out the door!
General Classroom Guidelines:
- Please keep your cell phone in your purse or pocket, use this time to connect with kids and to help them connect with Jesus and each other!
- Always direct children’s attention to the lesson or classroom activity, please don’t distract from what the teacher is saying by having conversations with your friends.
- ALWAYS leave lights turned ON.
- No children over the age of 3 should sit on a worker’s lap.
- Power in numbers! Never be one on one with a child. Best case is to always have another volunteer present. If that is impossible, always have at least two children present.
- Women are to handle all bathroom issues. Please see the BC Kids BATHROOM POLICY for specific details. JR Workers need to be at least 16 years old or older to change diapers.
- Nursery, Toddlers, 3’s, & 4’s/5’s doors need to be latched.
Overview of Daily Schedule
- 9:30-10:00: Prep, Pray and Parent Connection (3 P’s)
- 10:00-10:30: Connection Time
- 10:30-12:00: Lesson Time, Snack Time, Bathroom Time, Play Time
- After Pickup: Check Out and Check In
A Day in the Life: Remember the 3 Rhythms
- Rhythm 1: It’s important to get your morning off to a great start! This means arriving to class 30 minutes early to check in and get your nametag, eat breakfast, grab your classroom cube, grab additional toys/activities, connect and pray with your team, get familiar with the curriculum, and prepare the classroom. Breakfast and cubes are in the BC Kids workroom. Toy bins are in the Playroom.
- Rhythm 2: This is your time with the kids. From “the most important 30 seconds” to connection time and the lesson, this is the heart of why you serve. Be present, enjoy the inconveniences, and partner with Jesus in raising disciples.
- Rhythm 3: Once all kids have been picked up by an authorized parent or guardian, spend 15 minutes as a team cleaning/sanitizing the room, throwing out trash, and putting used toys and curriculum in the Playroom to be sanitized
Clean Up and Close Classroom
After the last child is picked up, please do the following:
- Wipe toys, counter, changing table, door and cabinet handles, chairs and tables with disinfectant spray and micro-cloth.
- Gather trash and take to the janitor’s closet.
- Place used micro-cloth in the hamper in the janitor’s closet.
- Return toys to the storage cleaning station (Playroom).
- Seal snacks and pour out unused water.
- If necessary, add a note to a “Supplies or Room Care Need” card and place it on your classroom clipboard.
- Return all supplies, clipboard, and the Classroom Cube (after 11 am service).
Done Reading the Basics? Click the next trailhead below!