Bathroom Guidelines for BC Kids
When you gotta go… you gotta go!
Guideline #1: Classroom Bathroom Breaks (The More the Merrier)
- Bathroom Breaks for Three’s and Up: We have scheduled bathroom breaks for our 3’s class on up. Classes go to the bathroom together to maintain our “2-adult rule.” Elementary Classes can take kids to the bathroom in pairs on an as needed basis, ask the service coordinator to help maintain teacher/student ratios.
- Women Only: Only women can assist with bathroom needs. A male teacher can help by keeping up with the kids in the hallway.
- Preschool Restrooms (Located by the Nursery):
- Send the children in 2 at a time while the other children wait along the wall outside the restroom. Position one adult near the bathroom doors to monitor activity and one adult with the children waiting.
- Prop the doors slightly open with the doorstop so that you can HEAR what is going on and give directions from the door without entering.
- If a child needs assistance, you may enter the restroom while leaving the door slightly propped open. Children remaining in the hall must be monitored by the second adult (or jr. worker)
- The 2 by 2 Rule: If a child needs to use the bathroom at a time other than the scheduled break, an adult can take them. Please take along a “Bathroom Buddy” (another same gendered child) with you and the child needing to use the restroom. While on your way to the restroom, please notify the service coordinator if your co-teacher is in the room alone.
Guideline #2: Use Designated BC Kids Restrooms Only
- DO NOT use the main adult restrooms for any reason.
- Preschool – Kindergarten Classes: Restrooms are located across from the Nursery.
- Elementary Classes: Use the Chapel restrooms
Guideline #3: Changing Diapers
- Diaper changing areas are in the Nursery & Walkers and Toddlers & Twos Rooms.
- We do not change the diapers of children older than 36 months. If a child older than 3 needs a diaper change, we call the parents.
- ONLY WOMEN 16 years old and older have the privilege of changing diapers.
- Never leave a child unattended on a changing table.
- Diaper supplies are located under the changing tables in the Nursery & Walkers and Toddlers & Twos Rooms. Please notify BC Kids staff when supplies are low.
- Always use clean gloves and change gloves between every diaper.
- Clean the changing table pad between every diaper change.
- Apply an “I’ve been changed” sticker to the new diaper after a change and notify the change time on the check-in sheet.
CLOTH DIAPER POLICY: We do not change cloth diapers as we do not have a system in place to handle all the different scenarios that can be present. Parents will need to be told that at drop off. They are encouraged to come mid-way through service and check/change the diaper themselves OR they can put a fresh disposable diaper on their child before leaving them in the nursery. If parents have questions about this, refer them to a BC Kids Staff member.